Questions that Porterville College students often ask...   and the answers.


What is FERPA?

FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also called the Buckley Amendment). This act sets privacy standards for student educational records.

Do parents have access to my records since they are paying my bills?

Once a student has turned 18 or is "attending any post secondary educational institution," parents can be given access to their child's records only if the student authorizes the permission in writing.

If I have a written statement granting my parents' permission to my records, where do I take this?

Take your written statement to the Admissions and Records office located in the entrance of the Academic Center building.

If I am a high school student and still a minor, do my parents have automatic access to my records?

No. If you are "attending the college" then your parents can only have access to your records if you give them permission in writing.

If my parents want to buy my books, can they obtain a class schedule so they can make sure they purchase the right books?

Not without obtaining your written consent to release your class schedule to them.

Will my parents be notified if I am placed on academic probation or disqualification?


Where can I find out more information about FERPA?

FERPA is enforced by the U.S. Department of Education and the FERPA website is found at

How to use this site:

For an example, if you have a question about "Registration", you would click on the "R" link at the top of the page, then you will find links on the left-hand side of the page covering topics beginning with the letter R.

However, in this case, when you click on "Registering" in the menu, you are prompted to check questions relating to "Enrolling."

Questions are listed in the main section of the web page, click on the triangle to expand the question to see the answer.