Porterville College
Student Complaint Procedures


The Student Complaint Procedures are established so that students can resolve difficulties/problems they encounter in College-related activities.  Student complaints are taken seriously; therefore, the complaint must be of a compelling, substantive, and verifiable nature.  Repeated filings of the same complaint, filings of a frivolous nature, or capricious complaints against school personnel will be considered abuse of the student conduct and/or complaint process.  Such repeated filings will be referred to the College President for a decision. 

The procedure students must follow in filing complaints is outlined in Procedure 4F10(a) of the Kern Community College Board Policy manual.

These procedures apply to student complaints such as:

Assignment of grades (See Policy 4C3C for final grade changes)

These procedures do not apply to student complaints which involve:

The College President will determine and publicize which administrative office will receive and administer the following issues:

Any party to a complaint may be represented by one (1) person on the College staff or student body.

Filing of complaints against any party is a serious undertaking.  Prior to filing a written complaint, and within ten (10) instructional days of the incident leading to the complaint, the student(s) should contact the staff member involved in an attempt to resolve the issue.  If this attempt is not feasible or does not resolve the problem, the student(s) may initiate Level I action.  Complaints may not be filed after ninety (90) instructional days from the date of the incident leading to the complaint.

Notices sent to the last address available in the records of the College and deposited in the United States mail, postage prepaid, shall be presumed to have been received and read.



CCC Chancellor's Office


Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level.  This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC).  You are encouraged to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources.  Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented:

  • To the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) at http://www.accjc.org/complaint-processif your complaint is associated with the institution’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards.  ACCJC is the agency that accredits the academic programs of the California Community Colleges.
  • To the CCC Chancellor’s Office by completing the web form hereif your complaint does not concern CCC’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards. 

Nothing in this disclosure should be construed to limit any right that you may have to take civil or criminal legal action to resolve your complaints.