Porterville College "DIY" Advising
When a counselor or advisor is not available, you can follow these tips and "advise yourself." At some point, however, you are encouraged to see a counselor to review the courses you selected in relationship to your academic goals. But DON'T WAIT to see a counselor if none will be available for a while – enroll now and then see a counselor later.
Vision, Mission and Values Statement
To be acknowledged for our outstanding service to students; recognized as committed and student‐centered practitioners; and regarded as catalysts in the success of our students.
The Office of Student Services strives to enhance the educational experience of our students by providing programs and services designed to empower students to attain their academic, personal, and life goals.
To accomplish our mission, the staff of the Office of Student Services will:
- Offer quality programs to help students achieve their academic, personal, and vocational goals.
- Provide timely and accurate information and advice regarding academic policies and procedures, requirements, and campus resources.
- Assist prospective, current, and returning students to understand and meet their academic requirements.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to enhance student learning and success.
- Promote student leadership and involvement.
- Serve as a campus information and referral agent.
In support of our mission statement, the Office of Student Services is committed to certain core values that define the character of the programs and services we provide.
- Students – The Office of Student Services values each individual student and is committed to the College Mission Statement's introductory statement, "With students as our focus... "
- Service – The Office of Student Services is committed to providing the most effective service possible to every student it serves.
- Professionalism – The Office of Student Services staff will work in a professional manner with each student, faculty, staff, and administrator; treating everyone with the respect and dignity they deserve.
- Confidentiality – The Office of Student Services will adhere to confidentiality in counseling sessions, except as required by law, so that students can be free to express themselves, and also maintain confidentiality in the maintenance of academic records and related files.
- Learning – The Office of Student Services supports student learning and development and will provide necessary programs and services designed to enhance the overall learning experience of our students.
- Assessment – The Office of Student Services is committed to an on‐going process of assessment designed to monitor and improve the effectiveness of our service to students.